Small change, but it will require a lot of work. Those of us who live in the Youngstown area can do some incredible things if we start eating local food.
What if we could:
- Create new local jobs
- Turn acres of urban land into beautiful edible green space
- Improve nutrition and health
- Build a stronger community
- Boost our local biodiversity
A 2010 study by NEOfoodweb suggests NE Ohio can:
- Create 27,664 jobs
- Increase regional output by $4.2 billion annually
- Expand state and local tax revenue by $126 million annually
This would put 1 in 8 unemployed residents back to work. All we have to do is buy local food. Not all of our food. Not even half. If we purchased just 25% of our food from local sources, Northeast Ohio could create almost 30,000 jobs! That’s less than 1 meal a day. Imagine what we can do if we surpass that figure!